Compiled by Marja Juhola
Submit your proposal for one of the 4 areas we’re focusing on this year, and maybe you too will be able to say: yes, I was there when it all began! Everything you need to know is here. Conference date: 25-26 September Where: Filozofická fakulta UK v Bratislave Deadline for submissions: June 15
We are also very pleased to introduce Ilona Kvietocek Sostronek, SKA’s new membership secretary. Welcome a board!
- In this post, Adam Simpson considers what to do when faced with making gap fills that we find in books more meaningful and how to inspire some creative thinking when completing them.
- Great pron help here from Adrian Underhill.
- Looking for some conversation starters for your B2+ learners? Graham Hendrey’s got some great ones on his Pinterest page! Check it out!
- The question our students should be asking themselves: “Am I working hard or hardly working?” Check out Vicki Hollett’s latest video!
- If you thought using TED Talks in your classroom would be a bit tough, think again. Andrew Gaun Jones has done a bunch of the planning for us!
- FREE RESOURCE! online ELT magazine, complete with articles, interviews and podcasts. Check out the EFL Magazine!
- “I Wish my teacher knew” – here’s a way to both practice the ‘I wish’ structure and gain insight into our students lives.
- 57 Ways To Sign Off On An Email – a useful post if you teach email writing.
- Good advice for new teachers by Crissy Smith: “The truth is there is no master’s degree or advice that can compensate for experience. With every new year and new crop of students, new challenges will arise.”
- TESOL Quarterly March issue is available here.
- A Coursera course on supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing.
- NILE Online offers tutor-led online courses for language teachers. Check out their website for further info.
- Lots of stuff on Finland this month, check out these links: getting rid of subjects; comparing Finnish and SK system; the system; critique; less is more.
- What are the most difficult words in the English language to pronounce? Find out here.
- Proverbs for the digital age – find them here.
- What does riding a bicycle tell us about learning?
- What does ICYMI stand for? Find out!
- Coming to Tuzla in June: the 3rd TETA BiH Conference! Click here to register.
- ELTForum is coming up in June – register here.
- Educafe has opened in BA – check it out!
- Banska Bystrica, Kosice and Bratislava teachers, you’ve got a real treat coming this month: Carol Read! Carol is great with YLs. She’ll be doing workshops on Creativity and communication through story and drama AND How to succeed with projects. Registration required! Banska Bystrica: Wed 13. 5. 2015, 1-4pm Kosice: Thurs 14.5.2015, 9-12 Bratislava: Friday 15.5.2015, 9-12